Monday, February 28, 2011

Villas, Vineyards and Vino

There are many perks to living in Italy.  One example of said perks is when we casually mentioned to our neighbors at Jon's birthday party that we wanted to go wine tasting and they said "Come to our winery. Tomorrow? 2pm?" 

Flash forward to the next day at 2pm and we are enjoying our neighbor's winery that is located in their 16th century villa that has been passed from generation to generation. It was either do that or stay home and catch up on laundry.  Life is full of tough decisions. 


A very haunted view or our neighbor's Villa at their vinyard.

At their front gate waiting to do some tastings! Their wine is already our favorite in Italy.

The Piovene crest (our neighbor's name) is seen here engraved into the front of their 500 year old fountain.  Hmm....in Texas I'm pretty sure anything older than 150 years belongs in a museum.  This fountain is located in the neglected backyard of our neighbors vineyard.  It's all relative.

We were helping them find their keys to the cellar. Before he could grab them I insisted on a photo of the HUGE keys they use each day.  Ridiculous.
Something tells me none of his relatives were taller than 5'8.  And I'm in flats.
My neighbors!!! They were so amazing to give us a tour of their winery. The youngest daughter is studying agriclture to take over her family business someday.
Why hello.  I will be drinking you sometime in the next 5 years.  See you soon.  Love, Sara


The Villa at their Vineyard was built for their family in the 1500s.  Why can't we all have this as our weekend getaway house???

The aftermath of our day at the vineyard.

After we thanked them for a wonderful day of wine tasting they genuinely thanked me again for the American pancake and brownie mix I gave them for Christmas. *blush*  I've really got to step-up my game for our gift exchange next year.

2 comments:

Dirk & Christina Dunlap said...

HOW AWESOME! You guys have a blast over there :)

posthelgason said...

Ohhh, I would love to meet them! That is amazing!