Saturday, November 27, 2010

Gobble Gobble!

This was my first year to have major responsibility for Thanksgiving. Luckily my mom was visiting to hold my hand (and an extra spatula) through the whole process. We went over to our friend's house to celebrate the holiday since everyone over here is without their family as well. It makes for an interesting combination of traditions (Should the TV stay on or off during dinner? Who here knows how to carve a turkey? Should thanksgiving be at 1pm or 6pm? No prayer??) We all had different ideas of what we considered a traditional Thanksgiving with 2 Hawaiians, 3 Northerners, 3 Texans and a guy from Florida. In fact, I would say one of the only traditions that seemed unanimous was stuffing yourself into a food induced coma.

The day before Thanksgiving we headed to the American grocery store to gather our necessary ingredients only to discover it had already been completely picked over.  No milk, limited butter, no cream cheese, no cheddar cheese.  So we were forced to brave the Italian markets to find our American staples for Thanksgiving.  As you see below, I had to buy 4 different types of  "formaggio" in an attempt to find something similar to cream cheese.


Which one was what we would consider cream cheese in the states?? The one on the top left.  I'm still not sure what the heck the bottom right cheese is supposed to be.  I had a 1 in 4 chance. 

Thanks NB and Aunt Janet for the Bubba Corn recipe! It was a hit as you can tell!


  








My annual pumpkin roll also made it's first Italian appearance.






Overall it was a very successful Thanksgiving! We had a 32 pound Turkey for 9 people which allowed each of us 3.5 pounds of bird. Mom and I made the cranberry/orange relish, pecan crumble cake, pumpkin roll, sweet potatoes and the Post family's traditional "Bubba Corn" named after my great grandmother. I have to tell you, there is nothing quite like a bunch of Yankees and Hawaiians asking for "More BUBBA corn, please!" We brought them a little taste of the South for Thanksgiving :)

2 comments:

gcotharn said...

Bubba corn takes over the world!

The Binghams said...

I am so proud!