Sunday, November 28, 2010

Buon Compleanno!

In an effort to catch up for my lackadaisical blogging lately I will try to update events of the past month through the next few posts.  Starting with my birthday! My biggest birthday present was that my mom came to visit!   We picked her up from the airport and then went to dinner at a restaurant that used to be the home of Galileo ( the famous astronomer and scientist).

Galileo's wine cellar...while he temporarily lived near Vicenza.
The day after my birthday was my mom's birthday so we took a mother-daughter day trip to Venice complete with shopping, wine, venetian glass purchases and of course a classic gondola ride through the canals.

cruisin' through the canals


 Mom kept saying "This is the best birthday I have ever had.  How did you know I have always wanted to visit Venice??"  I kept reminding her that Jon getting stationed by the army in Italy was not part of my elaborate master plan to make sure my mom spent her birthday in Venice. But it was fun to pretend for the day.

Venice: a city without cars


When we arrived back to Vicenza, Jon surprised us with a bottle of wine from my favorite vineyard complete with a personalized birthday message for mom and I from the winemaker!

Personalized birthday message for us! Thanks sweet husband!

It was by far the best bottle of wine I have ever had and one of the most memorable birthdays for both mom and I.  How can we top this next year?

No comments: