Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Venice, Vicenza, Verona...Vacation

While my family was here we took a few day trips from Vicenza to visit some of the surrounding cities.  My new hometown is nestled between 2 of the most famously romantic cities in the world- Venice and Verona.  (Yes, for some reason V is a big consonant around here) Each city is about a 45 minute trip away from Vicenza. Verona may sound familiar from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and Venice is famous for it's gondolas and opulence.  But at the end of the day we all agreed that both have nothing on Vicenza's small town charm.

   I wish I could upload more pictures but it took me an hour just to get these up.   We recently moved to a new hotel and although the amenities are nicer (Now we have a proper shower! American TV shows! Laundry facilities! Working A/C!! It's like Christmas!!!) The internet connection is painfully slow. In fact, it's so slow that I'm also refusing to fix all of the layout issues that happened when the pictures uploaded. Also, I'm lazy.

More to come soon!
Here are a few pictures of our day trips:


Sherman playing Romeo at Juliet's balcony in Verona. And yes, I dragged the dog to see Romeo and Juliet's castle. He needs culture. 

My brother Preston standing on Juliet's balcony from the famous "What light through yonder window breaks?" scene.  This picture was taken moments before Preston was yelled at in about 9 different languages by hundreds of tourists who claimed he was ruining their picture of the balcony.  And as a side note, Preston bought this bag he is wearing while we were on one of our day trips in Italy.  Jon and Dad call it his purse...Preston calls it his satchel.  The debate was very heated. I vote satchel. 

Dad experiencing tiny Italian showers in Venice. This was as wide as the shower doors would open- you could literally get stuck! Did I mention there was no A/C in the hotel? It's all part of the adventure...


My sister Toria striking a pose in the streets of Venice. She was able to work on her acting skills a lot on her trip. Act like it's not hot outside. Act like horse-meat is typical on a menu. Act like A/C isn't necessary...

 
Dad and Jon both wanted to order the same dessert.  Our rude waitress insisted they share one.  When the souffle was finally brought to the table we realized why.

No comments: